Thursday, August 27, 2009

Sony Headphones: The missing manual

I bought a new pair of Sony earphones (MDR-E818LP) last week.

Thankfully, the packaging came with some helpful instructions. While this was an exceedingly helpful diagram, I was disappointed that there was no documentation helping users to couple their new headphone purchase to their corresponding MP3 player/Walkman/Discman (sold separately).

As a public service to others who were dismayed by Sony's lack of commitment to their customers, I've created the following to help you complete the headphone installation process.
Additional help can be found in my upcoming book, Earphones: The Missing Manual by O'Reilly Media! You'll find these, and 2 other helpful diagrams for the reasonable price of $39.99!

All kidding aside, was there just some empty space on the packaging that Sony decided to commission the first illustration above?

Was their technical support department being inundated by calls from people who couldn't figure out that ear phones are supposed to go in their EARS?

Was there been a sharp increase in accidental asphyxiation due to inappropriate headphone use?

If you need that diagram to figure out how to use earphones, I can't imagine you'd be able to operate the MP3 player/Walkman/Discman that you are trying to use it with.

Currently playing: The Commodores - Easy
Currently colouring: Marvel Masterworks: Fantastic Four vol. 12!
Proudly in my fourth Cola free year!

5 comments:

Fraz said...

Perhaps the illustration was intended only for androgenous girl/boys who have no noses?

Ian Sokoliwski said...

Well, here's what I think about....hold up.

Are you listening to the Commodores?

Unknown said...

Donny you're still the best blogger out there and can make my day better than googling engrish phrases or Chuck norris.

D.

Sony Headphones said...

I purchased these Sony headphones to use to attach to my lasptop to listen to my personal music, and alsoto use them while traveling in the air and by vehicle to listen to my MP3 player. The ease of use and quality of sound produced by these headphones is exemplary, and I would recommend them for anyone wishing to use them for the same type of applications.

Unknown said...

I was listen music online with my headphone when I saw beautiful houses in a webside, so I understood costa rica investment opportunities is a great opportunity for me because I always wanted to live in Costa Rica a beautiful country.